If you’re looking for an alternative to coleslaw or potato salad, this side dish is for you. It’s made with dill pickles, fresh fennel, white onion, fresh dill weed, and some Dijon mustard. Not to mention, it’s perfect for warmer days. You’ll be surprised at how delicious and easy this salad is to make. This side dish goes great with bratwurst, steak, burgers, grilled kabobs, fish, and many other dishes. Next time you’re picnicking, give this salad a try for your lunch outside.
This recipe is part of La Mesa RV’s YouTube cooking series: Get Cookin’ RV Style. Each road recipe in this series has a short cooking video hosted by an engaging guest chef, who gives you a deeper look at how to make the recipe. Be sure to subscribe to both our Experience Life blog and our YouTube channel for notifications when each new recipe is released.
Disclaimer: La Mesa RV has no connection to any of the companies, brands or products listed in this recipe, blog post and video, and does not receive any financial consideration from the companies, brands, and products mentioned. No endorsement of La Mesa RV by the companies, brands and products mentioned should be assumed.
RECIPE: Crunchy Pickle & Fennel Salad
Based on a recipe by Jan D’Atri
Ingredients for One Batch (6-8 servings):
– 1 medium Fennel Bulb (about 8 oz. total weight)
– ½ medium White Onion (about 6-8 oz. total weight), thinly sliced
– 1 jar Kosher Dill Pickle Spears (24 oz. – equal to about 3 large whole pickles)
– 3 Tbsp Pickle Jar Juice/Brine
– ¼ cup Fresh Dill Weed, chopped (one 0.66 oz / 18 gram pack)
– 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
– 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
– ¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
– Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Wash and pat dry the fennel bulb.
2. Remove the outer layers and slice the inside thinly. Add to a small mixing bowl.
3. Thinly slice half of the onion and add it to the mixing bowl.
4. Remove all of the pickle spears from the jar and add 3 Tbsp of the pickle juice to the mixing bowl.
5. Cube/slice the pickle spears and add them to the mixing bowl.
6. Wash and pat dry the fresh dill weed. Then chop it and add about ¼ cup to the mixing bowl.
7. Add the Dijon mustard to the mixing bowl.
8. Add the red wine vinegar.
9. Add the crushed red pepper flakes.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste.
11. Stir everything together until combined well.
12. Chill the salad in the refrigerator for an hour before serving it.
Storage: Stores in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Start-to-Finish Time: 15 – 30 minutes
Cooking Tools Needed:
– Cutting board
– Kitchen knives
– Mixing Bowl
– Measuring spoon set
– Measuring cup set
– Mixing spoon
Looking for more Get Cookin’ recipe videos to change up what you eat while RVing? Click here for our YouTube playlist.